Profile of the HOD
Ms. Sibongile Mpofu has worked in the NGO and the public sectors for more than 20 years, where she has been involved mainly in the areas of policy, research, strategy development and implementation, among others. She has held senior management roles at various organizations across a range of sectors, including land affairs, urban and rural development, public administration and, most recently, human settlements.
Before joining the Department, Ms. Mpofu had worked for the Housing Development Agency, where she had acted as the Chief Operations Officer and had been the Head of Intergovernmental and Stakeholder Relations. Before that, she spent six years as a Senior Manager: Planning and Coordination in the Office of the Premier in Eastern Cape. Other organizations she has previously worked for include: the Independent Development Trust, Department of Land Affairs, Border Rural Committee and the East Cape Land Committee.
Ms. Mpofu holds a Master of Arts (MA) degree in Development Studies from the Nelson Mandela University and a B. Soc. Sc. Degree from the University of Cape Town. She has a number of published articles on women, land rights and development. She is in the process of registering for her Doctorate.
Functions of the HOD
The role of the Head of Department is to provide strategic leadership, support and overall management of the Department in order to promote leadership accountability and development as prescribed in the Public Service Act and the Public Finance Management Act. In pursuit of the above, the HOD's functions are to:
- Provide strategic leadership to the department in line with the vision and mission.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant Acts, regulations, policies, work ethics, norms and standards.
- Create an open, performance-driven and client orientated work culture.
- To develop and maintain a dynamic and learning organization and instil a sense of respect for Batho Pele principles
- Participate in Provincial management structures in support of the provincial government goals and objectives.
- Ensure efficient and effective management and administration of the department which includes proper use and care of stat property, training and development of staff, the maintenance of discipline and the promotion of sound labour relations
- Promote and strengthen professionalism and build capacity within the department.
- Ensure effective co-ordination and administration on implementation of integrated planning, policies and service delivery strategies in respect of:
- Provide support to MEC as the political Head and Executive Authority as it relates to the Vision and Mission of the Department