Profile of the HOD
Ms Luyanda Tsipa has a B. Juris degree and has undergone both the Management Development Program (Pretoria University) and Senior Management Program (Stellenbosch University). She is a Prince II Certified Project Manager. She is currently completing her MBA with the Nelson Mandela University.
Luyanda spent nine years at the Eastern Cape Development Corporation (ECDC) in various capacities such as General Manager of Operations and as Executive Manager for the Agency's vast property portfolio. Before that she spent eight years at the National Department of Public Works as Regional Manager Johannesburg Office (Chief Director), Director: Property Management and as Deputy Director of State Property Holdings. She is a mother of two girls.
Functions of the HOD
The role of the Head of Department is to provide strategic leadership, support and overall management of the Department in order to promote leadership accountability and development as prescribed in the Public Service Act and the Public Finance Management Act. In pursuit of the above, the HOD's functions are to:
- Provide strategic leadership to the department in line with the vision and mission.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant Acts, regulations, policies, work ethics, norms and standards.
- Create an open, performance-driven and client orientated work culture.
- To develop and maintain a dynamic and learning organization and instil a sense of respect for Batho Pele principles
- Participate in Provincial management structures in support of the provincial government goals and objectives.
- Ensure efficient and effective management and administration of the department which includes proper use and care of stat property, training and development of staff, the maintenance of discipline and the promotion of sound labour relations
- Promote and strengthen professionalism and build capacity within the department.
- Ensure effective co-ordination and administration on implementation of integrated planning, policies and service delivery strategies in respect of:
- Provide support to MEC as the political Head and Executive Authority as it relates to the Vision and Mission of the Department